Friday, July 22, 2011

Day 20 Summer 2011 Road Trip

Nothing planned for us today except that this evening we will return to The Grand Ole Opry to see another show.

So we have time today to laze around and not do too much.  

I had heard or seen a commercial that Hardee’s makes their milk shakes from real ice cream, so I thought we should go there for lunch.  I don’t think we have ever been to a Hardee’s but Karen thinks we might have been to one, but doesn’t remember where.  If we have, I don’t remember, but I do have a craving for a good old fashioned “real ice cream” chocolate milk shake.

I fired up the Garmin GPS to search for the closest Hardee’s but there was something wrong.. the GPS was running off of its internal battery and not being powered by the DC cable.   I can’t pull out of the driveway without my trusty GPS up and running and it will surely die quickly on its internal battery.   I tested the power outlet with another device and confirmed that the outlet was working, so it had to be the fuse in the cable.   So back we went to the Radio Shack that helped us the other day by selling us the WiFi router.

Bradley, the store manager came to our rescue once again.  With his trusty tester, he determined that the fuse was fine and that the problem was the DC cable itself.  He had a universal cable that will work.  He told me that I didn’t really need a Garmin GPS if I had a smart phone like his, he uses his smart phone for navigation.  Of course my reply was that I do have a smart phone (Apple iPhone4) with navigation, however it is useless in the USA because of the data roaming charges.  I bought the best international data roaming plan that Bell Mobility offers and in 2 day after crossing the border, despite having the best plan, I had run up over $1500.00 in roaming charges, so I shut the iPhone off.

Bradley said that he would sell me a phone,  I said I didn’t think that was possible.  That in all my research into buying phones in the US, I was convinced that it was not possible because any time I tried to buy one, I had to sign a contract, provide a US Social Security Number, provide a US mailing address, provide a US Credit Card and provide a US bank account number… None of which I have.

I said I will buy one and I don’t mind paying if I can get one legally.  I just don’t want something black market, or some phone that is illegal and winds me up in trouble for owning it.   Bradley insisted this was perfectly legitimate and on the up and up.  It is a Samsung Galaxy Prevail on the Android - Boost Mobile network.  There is no contract to sign, no questions about citizenship or banking information.   You buy the phone and then for $50.00 per month, you have unlimited data, texting, internet, email, gps, camera and all the Android apps (which are similar to the iPhone apps)
 
When the month is up, I will receive an email a few days earlier, asking me if I want to renew for another month (which I will do) but if I do not renew, the phone shuts down until the next time we vacation in the USA  and then I will re-activate it again.

I logged onto the Boost Mobile website and loaded $50.00 into my account from my Canadian credit card and I now have a US Smart Phone with unlimited data usage.

I am in seventh heaven again… I now have a smart phone that I can use in the USA and I can load it up with travel apps and weather apps, and I can Twitter and Facebook and Foursquare and whatever else I can find to do, all on my new smart phone.  I just have to remember to shut it off completely before I cross back into Canada or I will be hit with roaming data charges again.

So we got the gps working again and I have a new toy to play with..  Now we can proceed to Hardee’s.  I will say that I enjoyed the burger and the chocolate shake, Karen had a strawberry shake.  We will put Hardee’s on our list of restaurant chains that we like.

We ate an early dinner and then got on the shuttle bus at the hotel to take us over to the Grand Ole Opry.  I had said that I wouldn’t need to take so many pictures because we had already taken lots of pictures the other night we were here… well I was wrong.. I took almost 200 photos.

Here are some of them.   Click on the performers names if you want to learn more about each performer.

9669 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show 9670 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Jim Ed Brown

Jim Ed Brown.

9675 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Jim Ed Brown 9676 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Jim Ed Brown

Jimmy C. Newman.

9691 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Jimmy C. Newman 9695 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Jimmy C. Newman

Connie Smith.

9700 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Connie Smith 9706 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Connie Smith & her band The Sundowners

Matt Kennon.

9724 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Matt Kennon 9723 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Matt Kennon

Little Jimmy Dickens.   Little Jimmy is 90 years young.

9738 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Little Jimmy Dickens 9739 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Little Jimmy Dickens

Jesse McReynolds and his Virginia Boys Band.   Jesse is 82 years young and he sure knows how to play a mandolin.  I have included a video I found on You Tube.

9750 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Jesse McReynolds and his Virginia Boys Band 
Jesse McReynolds.

Diamond Rio.

9763 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Diamond Rio 9772 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Diamond Rio

Larry Gatlin.

9779 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Larry Gatlin 9788 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Larry Gatlin

Jeannie Seeley.   She sang part of her song in duet with Larry Gatlin.

9803 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Jeannie Seely 9812 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Larry Gatlin and Jeannie Seely

Monte Warden.

9816 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Monte Warden 9819 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Monte Warden

John Conlee.

9837 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - John Conlee 9907 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - John Conlee singing his signature song Rose Colored Glasses

Ray Pillow.

9852 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Ray Pillow 9854 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Ray Pillow

And last, but not least…    Josh Turner.

9867 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Josh Turner 9868 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Josh Turner
9869_1 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Josh Turner

The ladies sure love this guy… they are all crowded around the stage.

9889 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Josh Turner & accompaniment 9897 Nashville, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry radio show - Josh Turner & accompaniment

The first song Josh sang tonight was All Over Me.  At The Grand Ole Opry, you can take as many photos as you want, but it is illegal to make a video any of the performers.  So here is a video for All Over Me that I found on You Tube.

Josh Turner–All Over Me.

The next song he sang was As Fast As I Could from his newest album.

Josh Turner–As Fast as I Could.

For the third song tonight Josh sang the first song he recorded.  Long Black Train.. here is the music video for that song.

Josh Turner–Long Black Train.

Now I would have bet money that he would have sang Would You Go With Me, but he didn’t so here for your listening enjoyment is my favourite Josh Turner song.

Josh Turner–Would you Go With Me.

There you have another evening out with us at The Grand Ole Opry.  It has been a lot of fun attending the shows this week, and I know that we will come back to Nashville soon to see more of our favourite stars of country music.

To see all the photos that I took today, you know the drill.. press on this link to our FLICKR site.

No comments:

Post a Comment